Below is a guest blog post from RLabs (11 June 2010)…
AS we continue seeing the rise and growth of Social Media accross various industries, it is clear that we are seeing large volumes joining the bandwagon. Below we share some of the statistics proving that Social Media is still breaking ground. How long this will last will depend on how its being used by businesses, non-profit organisations, governments, communities and youth at large.
– It is estimated that Facebook has reached over 500million users.
– People spend over 500 billion minutes per month on Facebook and the average user is connected to 60 pages, groups and events
– More than 500,000 active applications are currently on the Facebook Platform
– Approximately 250 million users log into Facebook daily
– More than 100 million active users currently accessing the site via mobile technology.
– Twitter indicated that it has more than 190 million users tweeting with more than 65 million tweets a day. (South Africa has 55,000 active twitter users as indicated in a recent study.)
– The use of an open API ensures that 75% of Twitter traffic is generated from outside of twitter.com
– Approximately 65% of the world’s top 100 companies have a twitter account
– Twitter’s search engine gets more than 600 million queries a day. Monthly, this is proportionately more than Bing and Yahoo.
– There are more than 70,000 applications currently using Twitters API
MXit (South African based Mobile Social Network):
– More than 20 million users in South Africa growing at 4000 new users per day.
– Estimated 25 million users log into MXit daily
– Approximately 350 million messages are share via MXit per day.
The above is just an indication of how Social Media is still growing and being adopted by users hungry for sharing and engaging via the web and increasingly more so via mobile.