The past 5 days have been like no other for a group of young people hand selected to attend this groundbreaking initiative at no cost to the pilot group. The founding companies of the GROW Academy are WooThemes, RLabs, Silulo, WebGrowth and GivenGain.
The GROW Academy launched its first attack with an initial pilot ‘Boot Camp’ in Khayelitsha, Cape Town.
– DAY 1: Course Overview, Ice Breakers, Soft Skills Workshop, Online Forums (ALL)
– DAY 2: Blogging, Micro Blogging, File Sharing, Mobile Apps (RLABS)
– DAY 3: Websites, Web Development, Web Design, Themes (WOOTHEMES)
– DAY 4: Search Engines, SEO, Website Tracking, Site Performance (WEBGROWTH)
– DAY 5: Databases, Communication, Campaigns, Wrap Up (GIVENGAIN)
“I have never seen so many smiley faces (actual smiles on faces) when the recruits realised that they were being taught by the best in the business,” says Rene Parker Project Manager at RLabs.
I had the awesome privilege of being present for the duration of the 5 day Boot Camp covering social and new media for the event. I witnessed how “The Cadets” just embraced the opportunity of a lifetime. One of the Cadets, Jason Martin updated on his Facebook profile “I saw hope coming out of a computer today.”
If this is what The Grow Academy achieved in only their pilot project then I cant wait to see how lives will be transformed and changed when they go all out in battle…